November 3, 2011
Transitions is well underway now with the first few high school information evenings happening this week, and continuing through November, December and January.
Just a reminder, please visit all of the schools you are considering for September 2012; especially the specialty schools. It is at that time that the specialty schools will share their admission process with you. You will need to know each of those processes and the timelines for their applications.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will answer all of your questions directly, and post the questions and answers here on our website. I hope this helps.
Please remember, this is an EXCITING time for you and your children; there need not be too much stress. Call or email me with any of your questions.
September 26, 2011
Welcome back to another year! I hope you and your family had a good summer. My name is Marcy Ellen; I am your child’s Guidance Counselor. I am writing this letter to inform you of the various tasks and topics the Guidance Department will be working on this year. I have a wealth of experience dealing with the academic, social and emotional needs of students, and with preparing grade 8 students for their transition to high school.
One of the guidance goals is to ensure that the emotional and social needs of our students are addressed. To this end, we will be making age-appropriate presentations and/or hold discussions on social and emotional topics that might have an impact on the student’s life (please see below for a list of possible topics). I am always available to students and their families, who would like to meet with me one-on-one to discuss whatever they wish to discuss.
Another one of our goals is to ensure a successful transition to high school for our Grade 8 students. The steps included in the transition process are:
- Information Evening at Winona, (Wednesday, October 29 – 6:30-7:45), where you will learn about diploma criteria, *optional attendance, specialized programs, applied vs. academic courses, special education considerations, and *course selection sheets
- Student information sessions will take place prior to the Information Evening which will include the same topics as the information night, thus allowing for rich discussions prior to and after the Information Evening. Students are welcome to attend the evening session
- Individual meetings with each grade 8 student to discuss schools and course selection
- Evening visits to the high schools for parents/guardians and students
- Day time student visits to Oakwood Collegiate as a whole school, and our French Immersion students will visit Harbord Collegiate
- Assisting students in completing Course Selection sheets (later in the year)
This process will allow you and your child to make an informed decision about the high school he/she will attend.
Please read over the Transition Timelines, and the dates/times for the TDSB Secondary School Open Houses. Please mark these dates in your calendars so that you and your child might visit the schools of your choosing. Attending the Open Houses will assist you in making an even more informed decision for next year. I look forward to meeting you at Winona on October 20. If you have questions, concerns, or comments, or if you have experience with any of the topics which we may present, please get in touch with me. I can be reached at 416-393-1680 x 20036 or 416-708-1909 and leave a message. I will return your call promptly.
Looking forward to a great school year,
Possible Topics (not in any particular order):
Bullying/Cyberbullying Self-Esteem Healthy Sexuality Peer Pressure
Anti-Homophobia Depression Substance Abuse Eating Disorders
Relationships Anti-Racism Anti-Discrimination World of Work